Cracking down on firms engaged in constructing foot over bridges or FOBs, Ghaziabad Nagar Nigam (GNN) today slapped a total penalty amounting to Rs 65 lakhs on at least seven of such firms. The fine was levied as the firms did not honour their part of the contract with the GNN, said a communication from the office of Municipal Commissioner, Dinesh Chandra Singh who also invited the firms’ representatives to clear the air on Feb 26; however none could give a satisfactory reply after which this hard decision was taken by Singh.
The firms penalized are: Media Workshop, Meerut, penalty Rs 10 lakhs; DC Ad Com, Meerut, Rs 10 lakhs; Nand Ink, Meerut, Rs 10 lakhs; Abhinav Advertising, Meerut, Rs 10 lakhs; Pioneer Publicity, Jhandelwalan, New Delhi, Rs 5 lakhs; Capricorn Infra, Mayur Vihar Phase 3, Delhi, Rs 10 lakhs and LSTL Media, Sector 57, Noida, Rs 10 lakhs.
The contract rules say that:
- FOB firms have to construct ramps for the divyangjans and other phycically challenged prople but this was not being done.
- The firms have to display advertisement on 70% of the allocated area and 30% have to be utilized for public messages fro the GNN but this rule was being violated by all the penalized firms.
- The FOBs had to be maintained—painted, cleaned up and strength but again this was not happening.
- Firms were guilty of not being transparent about advertisement tariffs.
- All the firms need to get NOCs from other departments such as NHAI, PWD, GDA etc but this was not being done.
- The clearance height of the respective FOB shall be a per guidelines of IRC for smooth traffic flow however the firms were not reporting about compliance of these rules.
The firms have been asked to deposit the penalty into the GNN’s account in 7 days as well as implement the contract rules pertaining to constructing ramps on FOBs, for physically challenged people in a month, failing which the contract will stand annulled and an RC will be issued against the firms. Further legal action will also follow, warned the GNN.